Salvation is Nearby

Monday, December 29, 2008

My Time in San Francisco

I am sitting in my hotel in San Francisco, the most beautiful city I have ever seen.
I think the idea of experiencing a city on foot is a value that many people do not appreciate any more. I started with Chinatown and Russian Hill yesterday. Chinatown in New York and Toronto are the biggest in the world, but I think this one in San Francisco like New York city also has a historic flavor to it. San Francisco is a semi island, built on hills and that gives it a picturous character, because all streets have a beautiful view to either the up or down.

I walked along the Leavenworth St till I got the Lombard street. I had seen this zigzag street in Architecture books and had never thought I could walk in it. After Lombard Street, I went to Fisher Man’s Wharf and I bought a white necklace for myself so that I could wear it with my white dress at New Year’s Eve! In Fisherman’s Wharf area I ate crab for lunch. It was my first time to eat fresh crab! And then I took a ferry to Golden Gate at sunset time which gave me lots of opportunities to take good pictures. My day finished with a mount watering pizza in Italian Neighborhood in Columbus Street (North Beach).

Today, I started with ferry building near Embarcadero Street. The sound of seagulls and delightful breeze from the ocean with a cup of coffee made my day. I walked the market street from north to the south and in my way I visited the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art(MOMA), and the new built Jewish Museum designed by Daniel Libeskind( the same architect who designed ROM in Toronto). The plaza in front of MOMA and the Yerba Buena Gardens were incredibly beautiful. MOMA, designed by Mario Bota, is a modernism building that like many buildings of its time is inspired by simple geometry shapes in outside but very thoughtful and well designed interior design. The play of light and shadows were amazing and the collection of contemporary arts were outstanding!

The food and transit price in SF in inexpensive and the people are extremely friendly. Many people tell me that they like my hair!
Oh…I forgot to say I found a gallery in Geary street around Union Square who sells original works of Marc Chagall, Juan Miro and Pablo Picaso. It had the largest collection of Chagall works in North America and the prices were not that bad. For a second, I wished I had a rich boyfriend who could give a piece of art from Chagall for my birthday!